|by Linda Stephenson|
The origin of the name, Groombridge, is a bit woolly. The earliest form is
"Gromenbrigge" meaning the Bridge of Gromen, who may have been a Saxon noble who
built or lived near a bridge over the small stream which divides Kent from
Sussex - known now as the River Grom.
Old Groombridge is in Kent, and "new" Groombridge in East Sussex. The new village grew when the railway came to the village in 1864, having consisted mainly of farms, such as Five Acres, Corseley Farm, Old Birchden Farm, Alksford Farm, Hendal Farm and Hamm Farm. Shops which were in operation in the old village then shut and trade shifted down the hill.
Today, the Post Office, Litchfield Bakery, Spa Stores, Tangles Hairdressers and Broadoak Printers remain.
There is a local school, Groombridge St Thomas CE Primary, St Thomas' Church, a very active Village Institute where local societies hold their various functions and an Abbeyfield Home for the elderly.
Sports clubs within the village consist of a very active Cricket Club with a strong emphasis on the youth; Stoolball, Bowls (with their own green and Club House), Football, Badminton and our newly-opened Tennis Club. A friendly village in all with a caring community - those who move to live here rarely move out!