|> St Johns Church|
The Parish Church of
St John the
The Church of St John the Evangelist is located on the edge of the Ashdown Forest and seven miles from Tunbridge Wells, and was built in 1839 by the De La Warr family as a Chapel of Ease within the Parish of Withyham, to serve the small hamlet of Crowborough (known later as Old Town or St Johnís). The church was known locally as Crowborough Chapel, and was served by the Curate from the mother parish of Withyham, St Michael and All Angels, three miles to the north.
Originally the church consisted of the nave only, and followed the design of Newmanís Church at Littlemore, near Oxford. It was 60 feet by 25 feet, and 43 feet high, with a grouped triplet of three lancets at the east end, lancets in the side walls, and a window with simple tracery above the west door. The west front was surmounted by a bellcote. The church was, in essence, a simple plain design.
The chancel was added, funded again by the patron, Elizabeth, Countess De La Warr in 1870, the year in which she died. In 1888 a vestry was created at the west end of the church, where the font now stands, and above it a gallery was erected and an organ located there. Two years afterwards the latter was moved to an organ-chamber built in the north side of the chancel.
In the 1890s the church was further beautified with the most glorious stained glass and reredos, behind the Altar.
Too read more of the history please visit our WEB site at http://www.stjohnscrowborough.org.uk/